- 1 Features
- 2 Stationary Bike Benefits
- 3 Types of Exercise Bikes
- 4 Best Recumbent Exercise Bikes
- 5 Best Upright Exercise Bikes Reviews
Resembling a bicycle, an exercise bike is a popular type of stationary exercise equipment. Originally used for physical therapy, these bike exercise machines are generally used for achieving increased fitness. Also, they are often also used to train for cycle events, and many people use these indoor bikes to lose weight. These pedal exercisers are convenient for people who have joint, back or knee pain and cannot go for a walk or a jog to stay fit. Moreover, this unit does not exert stress on your back. For example, people who perform crunches and squats may feel a pressure on their lower back at some point, unlike using a fitness bike. So, to stay in shape, all they have to do is get on this simple stationary bike trainer and pedal away.
There is one primary difference between the various types of stationary exercise bikes:
- Saddle-free bikes with the absence of handlebars: These stationary bikes do not occupy much space and help the user exercise only.
- Fitness bikes with both saddle and handlebars: These indoor cycling bikes are mainly used for training the upper body, along with the lower body. Most of these bicycle exercise machines have an in-built resistance that forces the users to work out or train with greater intensity.
Exercise bikes are available in a vast range of styles and prices. Almost all these units have the basic features necessary. For example:
- Varying levels of resistance
- Seat adjustability
- Ease in accommodating the biker’s height and weight
Before making a purchase, one must set their workout goals and then make a decision. Exercise bikes come with other innumerable, mind-boggling features like:
- Bottle holder: A necessity to rehydrate yourself, any user could make use of this feature
- Book rest: If the rider is not in the mood for a workout, reading through their favorite book might help
- Hi-tech electronic equipment: These help the user set customized workout options by setting a specific time, distance or a number of calories to be burned
- Consoles: Nowadays, many of these come with a LED display
- Fans: These help the machine and the rider to cool down after a heavy work out session
- Built-in workouts: A challenge for the rider, this is actually a good idea
- Heart rate monitors: These may be handgrip or wireless, depending on the specific brand and model
- Built-in speakers and TVs: Living in this generation, a little entertainment system is expected to be attached to some of the exercise bikes, helping in motivating the users to train better
Stationary Bike Benefits
One of the benefits of stationery bikes is that they are relatively easy to work with. In fact, people who are new to exercising could pick up the habit of using this stationary exercise bike. Another of the stationary bike benefits is that it’s a favorite among people who work out to stay healthy. Yet another exercise bike benefit is that is uses aerobic exercise. Aerobic exercises facilitate the body with the release of endorphins which are natural pain-blockers. Hence, a pain reliever, this stationary bicycle trainer is great for the body. Also, it is pretty easy to burn calories on one of these.
Types of Exercise Bikes
Technology provides us with many types of exercise bikes to work out with. Each of them comes with different programs and brilliant features. There are mainly three types of exercise bikes:
- Recumbent, and
Each of them has been described below with examples.
A recumbent exercise bike is an exercise machine that allows the user to sit in a laid-back position, getting a large area for full back support. That way, the rider’s weight is evenly distributed on the area behind them. That is why this type is often considered the best exercise bike for beginners and overweight people. Some of them are so advanced, they include different programs that help you keep a track of your fitness and training.
Upright exercise bikes come without a support at the back. The rider needs to sit up straight when cycling on this bike. A few of the upright bikes are foldable. Others come with extra, ingenious components. Depending on all of the available features, there are three sub-types of upright bikes:
- Spin bikes
- Foldable exercise bikes
- Desk exercise bikes
One kind of upright exercise bikes, a spin bike is more suited for heavy-duty workouts and spinning classes. The regular exercise bikes have a freewheel system which allows it to spin freely even if the user stops cycling. This is unlike the spin bikes and probably is the biggest difference between the two types of exercise bikes.
Folding Exercise Bikes
Like the name suggests, a folding stationary bicycle trainer can easily be folded and tucked away. This machine too is used for cardio training. A foldable exercise bicycle is easy to relocate in a house. Moreover, you could even take it outside and train on it beside a pool or garden. Some of them endorsed with a great number of programs, folding bikes are easy to operate. Although, most them come without a back support. Primarily an upright bike, a folding stationary cycling trainer is a great asset for any fitness junkie.
Desk Exercise Bikes
The desk exercise bikes are a type of upright bikes with a built-in work desk. They have high-quality gear box components that last years. These bikes usually come with quick lock folding frames which allow them to be towed away easily, hence saving space. Some of them also have amazing, featuring massage bars.
Small Portable Exercise Bikes
These are small machines that would assist you to tone both your upper and lower body. However, these bikes are sturdy and wide at the bottom which gives good stability. This is to keep the user from toppling over. Usually adjustable to the user’s fitness level, this exercise machine is a great number for maintaining the fitness of one’s body. Along with defining your body, this machine also increases your cardiovascular endurance.
Best Recumbent Exercise Bikes
What is a Recumbent Bike?
In a recumbent exercise bike, the seat is located almost in-line with the pedals, placing the rider in a laid-back position. Most riders pick the recumbent bikes over the upright ones for ergonomic reasons. The recumbent exercise bikes have naturally comfortable seats, thus eliminating the chances of pain in the butt, especially after a long training session.
Out of a list of features, a couple has been mentioned below:
- Seat that is almost in-line with the pedals
- Up to 29 various programs
- Up to 4 different user settings
- Large LCD window systems: These allow the users to monitor various display feedbacks including distance, time and calories
- Some of the stationary recumbent bikes also include a USB port
- Up to 25 resistance levels: The rider may change levels anytime, according to their fitness level
- Heart rate monitor
Recumbent Exercise Cycle Benefits
Recumbent bikes have various benefits, some of which include:
- Safe: This allows the rider to have a very low center of gravity, making him/her more stable. It also provides the rider with a maximum workout for their gluteal muscles
- Comfortable: As cycling is in a natural position of body alignment, users who have a lower back issue will find the use of a recumbent exercise bicycle very enjoyable
- Foldable: Some of the bikes are foldable, facilitating packing and travelling
- Comfortable for obese people: Unlike upright bikes where the user has to slouch over and pedal, the recumbent exercise bikes allow the rider to lay back and workout, not having to apply any pressure to their stomach area. This encourages the rider to train more often on the machine
- Health: Many riders use the recumbent exercise machines to eliminate the chronic back or neck pain resulted from the use of upright bikes
Schwinn Recumbent Bikes
Providing the riders with customer satisfaction, Schwinn has a number of recumbent bikes available to choose from. A few of the features of Schwinn recumbent bikes are as follows:
- Has up to 29 different programs
- Has up to 25 levels of resistance: This eddy current base resistance provides the user with a great challenge, enhancing the quality of their workout
- Allows a number of display readouts: Some of them include RPM, distance, time, pulse, speed, heart rate, resistance level, profile, intensity meter, goal achievement, user indicator, etc.
- Holds the ability to bear 300 pounds of weight
- Boasts various consoles: These include speakers and MP3 input, a fan, a water bottle holder and utility tray
- Offers oversized paddles and thickly padded seats: This allows the rider to and train comfortably
- Provides a large LCD window system
Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike
A gorgeous addition to your collection of workout machines, the Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike helps its user to keep track of their goals and fitness levels with ease. Containing a jaw-dropping 29 various programs, this bike ensures that the workout is challenging. This recumbent cycle has up to 4 user settings. Therefore, feel free to share it with your family. Providing the benefit of monitoring up to 13 different display features, the Schwinn 270 trainer has a dual track two LCD window system. The user may comfortably connect their music system to this exercise machine with the help of its USB port and workout to their favorite song. The 25 different levels of resistance add to a challenging workout, although you could alter the levels whenever necessary. The Schwinn exercise bike provides you with a relaxed body positioning while delivering intense cardio training. It includes 12 different course profiles and contains a freewheel system. The bike’s contoured leg area ensures comfort. The workout is quiet, thanks to the eddy current based resistance system. Hence, you do not have to deal with any annoying noises that make you want to switch the machine off. The Schwinn 270 promises a one-year electrical warranty. Moreover, there is a ten-year warranty on the frame.
Schwinn 230 Recumbent Bike
The Schwinn 230 Recumbent Bike to makes use of an eddy current resistance system. There are 20 levels of this resistance which can be adjusted according to the user’s needs. A dual track two LCD window system allows you to keep an eye on the 13 different display feedbacks. These feedbacks include distance, speed, time and calories. Giving 2 user settings, this recumbent trainer also features goal tracking which helps facilitate tracking the rider’s progress on fitness goals. The Schwinn 230 has a handy USB port which could connect to your phone or media device. The machine also features 22 various programs. The bike’s large seat provides great lumbar support. It also has an easy operate lever system for the slider seat. This helps in changing the height according to the user’s height. The Schwinn 230 Recumbent Bike comes with transport wheels which allow easy movement around a given area. The rider may get an easy readout of his heart rate, as the heart rate monitor has been cleverly placed on the handlebars. The Schwinn 230 has in-built speakers which are of good quality. Along with that, the cycle has a three-speed fan which helps cool the rider while they pedal away. It boasts a one year warranty on the electrical components. Moreover, it promises a ten-year warranty on the bike’s frame.
Schwinn A20 Recumbent Bike
This recumbent stationary bike has up to seven workout programs which provide the user with a good challenge. The eight different resistance levels keep the user challenged. The Schwinn A20 Recumbent Bike has a heart rate monitor situated in the handlebars. Also, it has in-built speakers. Therefore, you could easily plug your music into the machine while working out. The trainer can support up to 275 pounds of weight. Thanks to the wide LCD display, keeping track of workout progress is made easier. The rider gets readouts of the time, distance covered, RPM, speed, pulse, resistance level, calories burned and course profile. Sturdy and stable, the Schwinn A20 Recumbent Trainer comes with transport wheels which enable the user to move it from one place to another with ease. Featuring a computer-controlled eddy current resistance system, the A20 runs smoothly and quietly. Other details include an extra-padded, wide seat that accommodates users of all body types. Assembling the machine is fairly simple and takes minimum time. This product boasts a 2-year warranty on its frame. Moreover, it features a bottle holder. The Schwinn A20 trainer also comes with a media tray and runs on batteries. No more tripping over a trailing cord!
Best Upright Exercise Bikes Reviews
Available in mainly three types, the upright stationary bikes have various features, a few of which include:
- Absence of back support: The user has to sit straight on the seat while riding the bike
- Foldable: A few of the upright bikes are foldable, making it easy to store in any corner of the house
- Contains a number of programs: Different upright bikes have different kinds of excellent programs
- Built-in work desk: The desk upright exercise bikes contain these
Upright vs Recumbent Cycling Trainer
The biggest difference between the two bikes is that the recumbent bikes have a back support while the upright ones demand for the users to sit straight. Some of the upright bikes are suited for heavy-workouts, featuring a freewheel system, unlike recumbent exercise bikes. Compared to recumbent bikes, upright bikes are less expensive. This is due to the upright bikes being smaller in frame. Also, the recumbent bikes have more materials involved in their manufacture. However, upright and recumbent bikes have a couple of similarities:
- Up to 20 levels of resistance and 22 programs: The user may change the resistance level and program according to their strength or fitness level
- Water bottle holder: Most upright and recumbent feature these
- Media tray: Similar to the bottle holder, a number of upright and recumbent fitness bikes have these
- Charging USB port
- Up to 4 user settings: This enables the users of both upright and recumbent bikes to share the machine among the family members
Schwinn Upright Bikes
Promising the best of workout experiences, Schwinn has a wide range of upright bikes. Out of the many features of Schwinn upright bikes, a number of them have been mentioned as follows:
- Contains a freewheeling system: This keeps the pedal moving even after the rider has taken their feet off them
- Has up to 25 resistance levels: Set according to different fitness levels, these provide the user with a good workout
- Has up to 29 various programs: They consist of preset programs, quick start, fitness test, distance goal, heart rate programs and profile courses
- Contains a magnetic, eddy current resistance system: This provides the user with a quiet workout
- Holds the ability to bear 300 pounds of weight
- Offers wide, adjustable seats: This enables users of all body types to sit on the trainer for a training session
- Boasts a large LCD window system
- Has up to 4 user settings
- Provides a USB port and in-built speakers: A music system could be easily plugged into these bikes
Schwinn AD6 Airdyne Exercise Bike
The Schwinn AD6 Airdyne Exercise Bike, often considered to be one of the best exercise bikes, gives a simultaneous workout to both the upper and lower body. Its resistance gets higher as you pedal harder. Moreover, its new RevMeter RPM gauge keeps you updated with your progress. Featuring a large thickly-padded seat, this trainer has 4 levers which provide the user with stability. It is also endorsed with a bottle holder. The console shows 6 workout metrics. Providing a dual-action design, this bike synchronizes your arm and leg movements, ensuring better training. An amazing cardio workout machine, the Schwinn AD6 Airdyne creates cooling air with its quiet fan as you pedal on it. It has a capacity of 300 pounds. This upright cycling trainer too has a heart rate monitor and helps you keep a tab on your overall fitness level. Assembling this unit is fairly simple and a one-person job. With easy instructions, there are only a few bolts and screws to be used to help arrange the entire bike. The bicycle provides the user with a tough but excellent workout. Its framework has a warranty of a whopping 30 years, while its electronics have a warranty of 3 years. A definite keeper, the Schwinn AD6 Airdyne runs on two AA batteries. To learn more about this exercise bike, read our Airdyne AD6 review.
Schwinn 130 Upright Bike
Featuring 22 different programs, the Schwinn 130 Upright Bike is a stunner. The Schwinn 130 has dual LCD window systems. Allowing the user to monitor up to 13 different display feedbacks, the trainer enables data export. Also featuring goal tracking functionality, it helps set distance, time and calories. These keep the riders updated with their progress on their fitness goals. With the aid of 20 different resistance levels, the workout is made easy and smooth on the Schwinn 130 Upright Bike. This machine also enables data exchange and features a USB port which could be connected to your phone or any media device. It also has a heart rate monitor connected to the handlebars. The exercise machine has in-built speakers which allow you to play your favorite workout songs and sweat off the calories. It has the capacity to hold up to 300 pounds of weight. Its three-speed fan keeps you cool too. Along with all of that, this upright exercise bicycle has transport wheels on the underside which make it easy to transport it from room to room. The Schwinn 130 Upright exerciser has a well-padded, comfortable seat. This could be adjusted according to the rider’s height. The machine has 2 user settings and the perfect bottle holder. Also presenting a media tray, it is quite simple assembling this machine.
Body Rider Fan Bike BRF700
The Body Rider Fan Bike BRF700 is an upright trainer that promises upper and lower body workout with the help of its dual-action handlebars. This unit is endorsed with a 250-pound user weight capacity. It comes with a fan wheel which provides the user with a gentle breeze while riding the bike. This exercise bike’s digital displays allow you to keep track of the distance and time covered, speed and the number of calories burned. The resistance of the trainer may be adjusted with the help of a knob. Also, its sturdy steel frame design is worth admiration. Targeting cardio and strength training, the Body Rider BRF700 has a number of pre-set workout programs in it. The seat’s height is adjustable, allowing anyone to comfortably sit on it and use it. Moreover, this machine has an in-built heart rate monitor which allows the rider to keep track of their heart rate when working out.
Lifecore Fitness Assault Air Bike Trainer
Compared to most other exercise bikes in the market, the Lifeforce Fitness Assault Air Bike Trainer is simply in a class of its own. It is backed up by the latest advancements in technology, which immediately makes it a superior choice comparatively. It contains the unique computerized display, bearing balls, adjustable seat, and sturdiness that sets it apart, but its main quality is the effectively unlimited air resistance it can provide to the user during hectic workout sessions. This machine can build a strong foundation for exercise enthusiasts around the world to gain motivation on daily exercises and is a great device to use for people of all ages, sizes, shapes, and preferences.
We have reviewed 8 bikes of this type as you can see below.